Monday, May 11, 2009

Play

I grew up in a home without a television. My children are growing up in a home without a television. Very occasionally, we watch a DVD on the computer; otherwise, my kids exposure to electronic visual media is extremely limited. The consequence? My children love books, and my children know how to play!
Don't all children know how to play? I do believe that all children are born with an aptitude for play. But real, creative play takes practice! Kids have to know how to think, how to invent, how to problem solve and interract. I have seen children who can recite entire episodes of their favorite TV shows or videos, but don't know how to join in a make-believe game. How will children grow up to be adults with the ability to conceive of and implement new ideas and projects if they have not practiced these skills in childhood play? Do we want our children to go through life as consumers of entertainment or as thinkers, creators and builders? Doubtless their experiences in childhood will determine which direction their lives take.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, We also do not have a TV! Thanks for the comment! Anne (Island School House)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct! I grew up in a home without a lot of TV, but my husband grew up in a home where the TV was on all the time. We've tried to create a compromise, but it hasn't worked. I finally put my foot down last Saturday and got him to agree with me to completely ban the computer and TV for a month. It'll be interesting to see what happens in that month. I'd love to just take them out entirely, but then I'd really have a mutiny on my hands. As it is, the kids seem to be just fine without it. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete